Lift Off Art was created in order to share information, build the careers of artists, and create a world that values artists and their unique contributions to the world (their art).
The Rules to Lift Off
1. Failure is more than an option, it is a necessity. If you’re not failing, you’re not trying hard enough.
2. Don’t be a jackass. This means that you should treat people how you want to be treated. Just because you might be privileged does not mean that you should act as such. Respect everyone.
3. Listen. This extends beyond hearing what others say to include synthesizing that information.
4. Selling is not selling out. Selling is making money doing what you’re good at. Selling out is compromising your beliefs, values, and/or ethics for money. Know the difference and don’t sell out.
5. Understand that society is a game. Whether or not you want to play by the rules is up to you, but until you learn the rules, you cannot actually choose whether or not you want to play in the first place. Until then, the game is playing you.
6. It’s okay to be scared. It’s not okay to let fear rule your life.
7. There is no shame in working a day-job if it is funding your ability to create.
8. Being a Hater means that you criticize something either out of spite or because you’re envious. Critiquing things are fine if people ask for it, and whenever you criticize something, you had better offer constructive advice at the same time, otherwise you’re just hating.
9. Art is not a zero-sum game. Everyone can be successful. So, when you see someone else coming up, remind yourself about #2 and #8.
10. Happiness cannot be bought, stolen, conquered, or otherwise forced into your life. Happiness needs to be nourished, cared for, and protected.
11. Copy only to learn. Steal ideas relentlessly to fertilize your own creations.
12. Never stop learning.
13. Nothing is ever set in stone.
The Lift Off Pledge
(right click and choose “Save As” to download)